Wednesday 29 August 2007

No such thing as a free lunch

I had lunch bought for me today, because I have been on a training course. My colleagues and I were taken to The Eagle pub just off City Road*, having been given the chance to choose our lunch earlier in the morning so that it was all ready when we arrived.

I chose a chorizo and stilton salad, mainly because I was intrigued by the combination! I just couldn't imagine how they would go together because both have quite a strong flavour. I normally expect stilton to be served with green vegetables or with pastry because of the excellent way it melts and adds a certain tangy, cheesy saltiness.

I have to say, though, it was a good combination. It was served with mixed leaves and new potatoes, which both balanced the saltiness. The chorizo was a little on the chewy side but was very nice - not too garlicky. All in all I was only slightly jealous of my colleague's fish finger sandwich!!

But I have had to sit through a fairly boring and inappropriate training course to get this lunch, so ...!

*Apparently this pub appears in the nursery rhyme 'Pop Goes The Weasel', interestingly enough.

No comments:

Get updates from me: