Wednesday 22 August 2007

Sausage blast

Last night I wanted to make a dinner that was quick and simple to create, undemanding, easy to eat and went with red wine.

I ended up making a sausage and spinach salad. It's dead easy and it's really not going to win any awards for style or anything, but it was quite delicious and fulfilled the brief!

Basically, I just threw loads of spinach, a little bit of rocket and some cherry tomatoes onto the plates. I then added some boiled new potatoes and green beans, along with chunks of grilled sausages. It's a good opportunity to choose a particularly lovely kind of sausage because it forms the dominant taste of the whole dish. I chose some pork and tomato chutney ones, but I think more or less any kind would go well.

As a dressing for this I always used to mix a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar with olive oil, but I'm slightly off balsamic just lately. So I went for the good ole honey, mustard and lemon mixture - now I've perfected it I may as well make the most of it! In retrospect I'd take out the lemon because it detracted a little bit from the flavour of the sausages.

Apart from a liberal sprinkling of black pepper, there's nothing more to this dish. It went down particularly well with a nice glass of Spanish shiraz (well, what wouldn't?!).

No comments:

Get updates from me: