Tuesday 28 August 2007

Lidl pigs

I went to Lidl the other day! I know - I was fairly surprised myself! I wanted to get something to eat in the evening - just a small snack and some alcohol. I quite fancied some serrano ham and Spanish red wine, as usual. But I had a bit of trouble on the tube and couldn't find time to get to Tesco or M&S.

So ... I found myself at Tottenham Hale station with a bit of time to spare and there's a branch of Lidl just a couple of minutes' walk away. I just knew they'd have a good selection of cured meats and Spanish wine in there - I was absolutely confident of finding it. As I walked in, I realised the reason for my confidence: the only other branch of Lidl I've been to is the one in Tarifa, in Spain, and therefore I subconsciously think of it as a Spanish supermarket! One branch of Lidl is amazingly like another and, as I walked through the doors, I couldn't shake off the feeling that I'd somehow been transported to southern Spain. I wasn't at all surprised to find endless aisles of cheap maize snacks and chocolatey breakfast goods. I walked unflapped past the humungous bottles of cheapie shampoo and the massive sacks of onions. I nearly said 'excuse me' in Spanish, even!

Surely enough, their range of cured meats was pretty good. I had several kinds of ham to choose from and was momentarily tempted by some good-looking chorizo too. I bought some serrano ham and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. I also had a bottle of Rioja, for just under a fiver, which was fairly decent. I'm not quite a Lidl convert, but it more than did in an emergency!

No comments:

Get updates from me: