Tuesday 4 September 2007

Currying favour

I went to Katana @ The International last night, after spotting their excellent offer on Toptable. Two courses and a glass of Prosecco for £12 - a mere snip!

I'm not particularly a connoiseur of Asian and Oriental food, but I do like it and I'm getting more used to the flavours involved. I started with Malaysian lamb satay, because I thought it would make a nice change from chicken and I liked the idea of it being marinated in ginger. The peanut sauce was highly coconutty, which actually made it very refreshing and a good foil to the spicy lamb.

For my main course I ordered a Thai green chicken curry, which is slightly out of my comfort zone. Thai green curry always looks tempting but usually gets shelved in favour of something more familiar because I'm not a fan of anything too hot. I'm glad I gave it a go because the flavours were lovely and the chicken was cooked perfectly for me. It was slightly on the hot side which, I find, just deadens the taste. I wish more restaurants would tone down the spiciness just a tiny bit so that the fresher flavours have a bit more room to come out and play!

As Thai food goes, though, this was well-presented, exactly right in terms of portion size and of a high standard. I'd certainly recommend it while this special offer is going on. The cocktail bar downstairs also looked fairly tempting, if we'd had more time!

No comments:

Get updates from me: