Wednesday 5 September 2007

Salad days

Today's lunch recipe:

I saw a nice-sounding packaged salad in Tesco and thought I'd buy the ingredients and copy it, rather than spend a fortune on it.

First of all I sliced an apple fairly thinly and placed it into a dry frying pan (no oil or butter). I blasted it (blast - ha ha!) on the hob for a minute or two before transferring the whole pan to the grill for about five minutes. See, I'm all smug now I have a gas hob and can actually heat something intensively like that at the drop of a hat. I don't know whether I'd have employed a different technique if I'd been using an electric hotplate.

So - on with the salad. Along with the apple I tossed some walnuts, red grapes, sunflower seeds, mixed lettuce and chunks of Wensleydale.

I added a very tiny amount of a variation on the usual dressing (lemon, olive oil, wholegrain mustard - without the honey on this occasion) on the if-it-ain't-broke basis. But really, just a very tiny amount because otherwise it wilts the lettuce and makes the cheese go mushy.

That's all. Yum!

2 comments:

Cerulean Bill said...

My goodness, that sounded good!

JL said...

Thanks for the comment - it really was good! Please let me know if you try it out.

Get updates from me: