Tuesday 25 September 2007

Eggs-perimental

Italian-style stuffed chicken

Now: I stole this recipe from a restaurant. No, actually, that's not strictly true - I don't wish to imply chicanery. This recipe was in fact passed onto me in a legitimate fashion from a friend who acquired it from the chef of a restaurant I used to eat in a few years ago. Sadly, the experimental restaurant in question is no longer open. But, on the up side, I now know how to make one of the chef's easiest and most delicious dishes!

I made up the title of the recipe based on the fact that most of the ingredients are of Italian origin. I use really good quality sunblush tomatoes and mozzarella, although I think you can compromise a bit on the quality of the ham (it doesn't matter so much when it's oven baked).

Firstly butterfly a chicken breast (ooer!). I always deliberately choose round and plump pieces of chicken for this, so that my knife doesn't just slice right through. Press your hand down flat onto the top and slide a sharp knife into the side so that you can flap it open completely. Inside the chicken, stuff some fresh mozzarella cut into small pieces and a few finely sliced sunblush tomatoes. Then flap the chicken back over the top and wrap the whole thing in two slices of Parma ham. I normally put these in the oven under some foil (see my previous ranting about chicken not being too overcooked!) for about half an hour, sprinkled with a bit of black pepper and olive oil.

That's about all there is to it! I serve these with green vegetables - something like mangetout or sugar snap peas is ideal - and some roast potatoes. I have also perfected a really simple sauce made from double cream heated with a small spoonful of red pesto.

It's the sort of recipe that's a little bit fiddly at the outset but can happily be left in the oven while you go and do something else. And not only is it delicious, but it particularly complements the rose Rioja to which I'm currently addicted!

No comments:

Get updates from me: