Friday 27 March 2009

Moneygeddon

Wow, look: I was talking about fear of a recession over a year ago! I didn't realise the media had had its doom and gloom hat on for that long!

Anyway, the 'hate waste' campaign seems to have quietened down of late, to be ovetaken by the old 'cheap food is fashionable again' thing. Chefs, food writers and supermarkets are telling us that we can do no better than brisket, offal, scrag end and the like. (Ok, maybe not scrag end ...)

Do I agree? Well, not entirely. There's some things on which one can easily economise; value broccoli is much the same as gourmet broccoli (both delicious) for example, and over-priced fancy sausages still split, stick to the pan and taste the same as cheaper ones. But brisket is no substitute for a nice piece of topside. I wouldn't compromise, personally - not after the first time!

No comments:

Get updates from me: