Tuesday 28 April 2009

Not a misteak

I expect you have all been dying to know how I got on at the Albannach. What do you mean, not really?

Well, it was quite a while ago and I can't entirely remember but I know it was pretty good and I wasn't disappointed by the food. I didn't much like the table we were given or the atmosphere, and the wine list was a big let-down. A restaurant serving hearty meals such as haggis, lamb shank and venison steak should offer some decent full-bodied red wine (preferably French) under £35 a bottle.

So, the food was by far the strongest point, which I suppose is fairly crucial for a restaurant! I ate a trio of cured fish for starter (mackerel pate, tea and whisky cured salmon and sardines), then the rib-eye steak with Dauphinois potatoes. The fish was amazing and tasted 'properly Scottish', while the steak was classic and unfussy in its presentation and flavours. I'd find it hard to choose something different from the menu if I went again!

Oh yeah - pudding. I can't honestly remember what I ate or whether it was nice, so perhaps I didn't have one. I suspect it was the cheeseboard, because I know I drank a lovely glass of port with it!

I'm glad I tried this restaurant and I commend the chef for the thorough 'Scottishness' of the menu. Would I go again? Hmm ... we'll see. Perhaps in the winter.

No comments:

Get updates from me: