Wednesday 12 March 2008

Nothing left over

Clayton-style bubble and squeak

It seems suddenly fashionable again to make the most of food leftovers and to shop and cook 'for the week'. This is probably part due to the fear of a recession, partly a concern about being green and sustainable, part reaction to the over-elaborate style of buying and cooking we've seen in the past few years and largely nostalgia!

I thought I'd throw my bit in since I love making the most of leftovers and spare odds and ends of food. The daddy of all leftover cooking, for me, is bubble and squeak. But not the proper nonsense (a sort of mashed-up and fried cake of potato and cabbage) - that's nice enough, but not a patch on the version my mum used to make!

So here's my mum's and now my own version:

Cut up loads of leftover roast potatoes, parsnips, Yorkshire puddings, sprouts (or cabbage, or whatever other similar vegetable) and even sage and onion stuffing if you have some left after roast chicken or turkey. Bung it all into a massive frying pan with a little bit of olive oil and fry it. That's all. It's just loads of nice things that are too good to throw away and taste fantastic re-fried!

I normally eat it with cold meats, baked beans and pickles. It's also good with eggs cooked however you like. It's the most comforting meal in the world and makes every day feel like Boxing day! If you can arrange to watch Herbie Rides Again, Moonraker or The Great Escape at the same time you'll be sound as a pound!

1 comment:

Thistlemoon said...

Hi!

I love dishes like this - so comforting and hearty. Such good stuff.

I commend your use of leftovers! :)

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

Get updates from me: