Sunday 10 January 2010

Calendar girl

I love January. It's so ... new. I'm still on a high from Christmas (the turkey and mincemeat takes a while to leave my bloodstream) and everything is 'new for 2010', or whichever year we're beginning.

I don't, you understand, love it in a 'fresh start, new resolution, clean slate, start over' kind of way, as magazines and TV adverts tell me I should. That sounds ghastly - having to start afresh. I can't think why I'd want a clean slate, unless the year before had been particularly horribilis, like the one the Queen had that time.

Rather, I like January because I get to do the same all over again. It's like last year ... again. There's another winter, Easter and spring are just around the corner, Pimms will be in fashion again soon enough. Even Christmas will be along again before we know it.

I'm particularly excited about all the food I can eat again. Sad to eat the last mince pie? Never mind - the season will be around again at the end of this year. Missing pancakes? Shrove Tuesday is coming right up. Didn't get a chance to try all those fantastic salad recipes last summer? Never fear - a new year is here.

I love the predictibility and sameness of a new year starting. I'll start digging out all my old recipes in date order and getting excited about the approach of asparagus season, not to mention my delight when autumn's apple day comes a-knocking!

No comments:

Get updates from me: