Wednesday 6 January 2010

All good things

Sadly, St Alban restaurant ceased trading over Christmas. This is a shame for me, because I really enjoyed it, and a shame for this blog because I never did get around to reviewing it!

It's also sad as a general fact. If a top-class, comfy, imaginative, well-run restaurant can't make a decent business in London, what's going on? Ok, it was a little expensive but you certainly got what you paid for. I'd be hard-pressed to think of anywhere in London with better service, a more satisfying wine list or better ham. Even the toilets were an exciting experience.

All good things must come to an end, I suppose. I'm just glad I managed to fit in a last trip before it closed to perfect that imam bayildi recipe!

2 comments:

Mrs H said...

Will there be a post about the toilets? I am intrigued!

JL said...

They were individual pods, like aeroplane toilets but far more spacious and swanky! Each had several moveable mirrors around the sink, so you could see every facet of your head, if you so desired. The flush happened automatically, just at the right moment ... not sure how ... sensors, or something scientific and clever. And the whole thing was done out in art deco glass and chrome. A loss to the London restaurant scene!

Get updates from me: