Wednesday 14 January 2009

Every little helps

No, I'm not on commission from Tesco. Yet!

It's the month of diet and detox, so I thought I'd throw my two penn'orth into the ring. I'm not a fan of 'proper' diets of any kind, but I firmly believe that small, manageable changes make a difference. So here's my top tips for small changes to create a better way of eating.

  1. Don't peel potatoes before roasting them or making oven chips or wedges. The skin is the best bit! Worms won't grow out of your face.
  2. Use reduced-fat olive spread instead of any other kind of butter or butter substitute.
  3. Add pine nuts, pumpkin seeds and sultanas to food as often as possible. Sprinkle them on top of salads or pasta, for instance.
  4. Don't buy salt. Most food is salty enough without it and you can't be tempted to add it if there's none around!
  5. Eat soup as an easy way to consume more fruit and vegetables.
  6. Have crumpets for breakfast, with a bit of peanut butter or honey. They're relatively low in fat and calories, quite filling and also yummy.
  7. Buy loads of plastic storage containers so that you can easily save and freeze leftovers rather than feeling obliged to eat them!
  8. Make a low-fat apple cake on a Sunday morning and have a small slice whenever you want a snack or treat. It should last until elevenses on Wednesday!
  9. Mash potatoes with a tiny bit of wholegrain mustard instead of adding milk, butter, cream, cheese, etc.
  10. Go out for dinner frequently - it gets you out of a food rut, can inspire new recipe ideas and usually means you'll eat a balanced meal rather than a lazy home-cooked one.

Stick a fork in me - I'm done.

No comments:

Get updates from me: