Tuesday 22 July 2008

Not al my dentes

I had a thought the other night (I had been drinking ...): good restaurants should ask how you'd like your pasta cooked in the same way as they'd ask about meat!

Chefs always rave on about how pasta should be al dente - I saw Gordy on TV just the other day ripping seven shades out of some poor restaurateur in Spain because his penne was too mushy. But is it not down to personal choice?

I don't really like it al dente. That's just uncooked in my opinion and I don't like the feel of it. For me, that's the same as finding a hard, glassy bit in the middle of your baked potato or a still-chilly pea among your petit pois. Would it be so challenging to give me a choice? After all, I know that fillet steak tastes far better cooked rare, but if I were a chef I'd still have to give paying customers the chance to have it incinerated and leathery!

Or am I mad?

2 comments:

Rhysickle said...

indeed!

JL said...

What - indeed to the whole thing or indeed to me being mad?!

Get updates from me: