Thursday 10 July 2008

I've gone all brunch!

Scrambled eggs and asparagus on toast

I came back from Spain recently with a tremendous and very seasonal appetite for asparagus. I've been eating it a lot lately and, in my opinion, its natural partner is egg (and egg!).

One Saturday at about 11.30am I made up this brunch, based on egg/asparagus desire and a severe lack of food in the house.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call this a recipe but I'll tell you how I put it all together. First I chop the asparagus spears in half to create lengths of about 5-6cm and put them into a saucepan of boiling water over a very low heat for about three minutes. I cut some ciabatta rolls open into halves and toast them, drizzling on some olive oil about halfway through the process.

My egg-scrambling method is unorthodox, but tried and tested. I crack some eggs (normally three for two people) into a bowl and whisk them with a bit of black pepper and a dash of olive oil. I then microwave them for roughly two minutes, stopping every 20-30 seconds to do the 'scrambling' bit with a fork. The oil helps them to stay moist and a bit runny.

To make it all deli and brunchy I serve the eggs delicately dolloped onto the ciabatta, with asparagus criss-crossed on top and a spoonful of hollandaise sauce on the side.

Incidentallly, I recently received a fantastic Gordon Ramsey cookbook as a birthday present and he writes about a similar recipe, but with the addition of anchovies. Back off, Gordon!

No comments:

Get updates from me: