Sunday 24 February 2008

Who are ya, Delia?

So, just as I decided to write about ready-made things and 'convenience' cooking, Delia Smith brought our her new book on more or less the same topic! Cheeky madam.

Delia's How to Cheat at Cooking is about making use of pre-prepared food if you are busy or inexperienced in the kitchen. It's assembly cooking for work nights, making use of the storecupboard and freezer rather than buying everything fresh and spending your whole weekend chopping, pickling and making your own stock.

I think this is a pretty good idea but I'm not overly sure I care for her tone! "Who peels the potatoes? Anyone but you!" It's got a hint of 'I'm sick of cooking for you ungrateful lot and I've become slightly jaded but I'll be damned if I can't make a bit of money out of opening a packet of Smash, since you're probably all cheesed-off with chopping too'.

After all, it doesn't take a staggering IQ to read one of her old recipe books and substitute freshly-grated ginger with some from a jar, does it?

1 comment:

JL said...

I felt the need to add: I haven't actually bought this book yet but it has been serialised in the Daily Mail (which I only buy for the crossword on a Saturday!).

Get updates from me: