Wednesday 6 February 2008

Don't forget to add a little flower

It's pancake day, yes it's pancake day ...

Hands up who remembers the pancake day song from Maid Marian and her Merry Men? I taped it at the time and watched it time and time again until I knew all the words and actions!

I was a bit miffed this year to work out that I'd be out on Shrove Tuesday, because I love my annual pancake-making evening and look forward to it throughout the year. I'm not a Christian so it doesn't really matter what day I make them on, I suppose - why not Easter Sunday or my birthday?! But it's the tradition of the thing! I love a bit of tradition and if we all ignored these calendar milestones and did everything whenever we fancied, I'm sure the very fabric of British society would begin to unravel! At the very least we'd be a bit confused ...

So: this year I was forced to make my pancakes on Ash Wednesday! Bad from a tradition point of view but as close as I could get. I'm a traditional Delia-recipe pancake-maker, with only lemon and sugar as additions; I have no truck with chocolate spread or syrup. There's nothing better than hot, freshly-made pancakes drenched in fresh lemon juice (from a lemon, not Jif-style!), sprinkled with sugar and eaten with a fork.

Incidentally, to overcome my feeling of ickiness about missing Shrove Tuesday itself, I bought some ready-made pancakes to eat for breakfast on that day. They weren't great but, with enough care and attention to lemon and sugar, they were a chompy enough breakfast and fulfilled the requirement!

NB: If you didn't get the title, you didn't watch the video!

No comments:

Get updates from me: