Friday 29 August 2008

Fighting with ham

Serrano ham is one of my favourite types of food. Whenever I've got a trip to Spain on the horizon I find myself becoming more excited about the good ham I'm going to get than I am about anything else!

There's one particular delicatessen in Tarifa, which is imaginatively called The Delicatessen. It serves and sells a fine selection of ham, including some of the best Pata Negra I've ever tasted.

It's harder to get good ham in England, I've discovered, but some delis and tapas bars have the proper stuff available. Tesco's finest Serrano ham is pretty good, too.

Earlier this week I made a tapas-style dinner with some ham, tortilla and patatas bravas. On the same evening we watched the film Jamon, Jamon - subtitled 'a tale of ham and passion'. It was, unsurprisingly, a ham-based film and added significantly to my enjoyment of dinner!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jamon Jamon, we have friends in Tarifa so might just pop into that deli... nothing quite like some quality Iberico.. Great blog.

JL said...

Thanks! Your blog looks great too. Please comment on the slightly dodgy patatas bravas recipe I'm about to post!

The deli is just near the church in Tarifa so it's easy to find. Try their asparagus salad with tomato sauce too - it's very nice.

Get updates from me: